Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Korean City: Yangpyeong!

Hello Badger in Korea readers! Thanks for continuing to stop by and catch up with me. I really appreciate all the comments and well wishes from everyone... you make it hard to be away!

Well, today I wanted to give everyone a bit of an idea of the city that I'm living in here in South Korea.

The name of the city is Yangpyeong. It's a decent sized city about half an hour directly East of Downtown Seoul. It's one of the last stops on the East Seoul Metro line and has a population of about 100,000. The city is famous for it's scenic placement right on a major river way and is nestled in between tree covered mountains. It's also famous for it's organic farming and gardening and you see them sprinkled throughout the city blocks and of course out into the countryside.

The downtown itself is a mixture of open-air markets, streets lined with traditional Korean shops and bigger streets with high-end western-catered businesses. There are poor shanties and food stands and there are high rise luxury apartments and office buildings. Yangpyeong, like most of Korea is UBERconnected with internet and cell phone stores occupying about every 4th or 5th store front. It's a very mixed vibe. To be honest I haven't quite figured out what to think about it yet. One minute you'll be taken back the simplicity of a poor store front with an old women selling roosters, crabs and hot chili peppers and the next minute you'll find yourself standing outside an ultra-modern, ultra-hip I-Phone store with an all white interior and loud Korean Pop Music (K-Pop) playing from it. I'm finding it a bit challenging to understand how everything works and what the routine is here because of the intense mixture of things. It's really quite different. But I suppose that comes with living in a different country, right?

Alright here's a short clip I put together showing you some of the landscape around Yangpyeong:



Here are some pictures and another video I took from around town:





Here's my apartment building. I think it's called "V2". The door is on the right corner and I climb up that glass stair case to the 4th floor every day!

         


  Here's the subway station that is  a  block away from my apartment.                                                                                                                                   







   A market on the side of a street. (Lots of these)




        
  






 One of the shop-lined pedestrian streets.
Lots of western shops on this street.












                                           Video of downtown Yangpyeong



                                                                           


 So you can see it's this very unique combination of Korean shops of every different kind. Pet shops, food stands, barbers and everything in between. Then... there are these random western implants that stick out like a sore thumb!

The strangest part for me is that they are the most random American stores that I would never guess. What would you guess would maybe pop up in smaller town in Korea? I would say maybe a Subway? Maybe a McDonald's? No... the first stores I see are an Adidas, a Dunkin' Donuts and a Baskin Robins. I don't think I've even seen any of those in the U.S. let alone seeing them in my town over here. It's a bit strange!






OK everyone! Thanks again for stopping by. Leave your comments, questions and requests on here or on Facebook and I'll get to them as soon as I can! Peace!

Mike







3 comments:

  1. Hi Mike, Mixture is right! Wow..but hey...I love the Dunkin Donuts coffee it is the best! The eclectic makeup of this town reminds me a LITTLE bit of chinatown in New York...poverty mixed with phone stores mixed with an american store here and there and not a sign I can read anywhere! But I know that where you are, it is all foreign and it's not like you can jump a cab and get to somewhere familiar.
    I think this is a time that you will be your own best friend and you will depend on yourself more than ever before. But that is a great thing, because you are a wonderful man! I so look forward to your posts, and your videos and pictures. What an amazing adventure you are on...make the most of every day.
    Love you so much...Sue Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about the 'western' stores; the ones that you see lining the streets are not the ones you would expect! Even though the obvious "social divides" are still a bit off-putting, Yangpyeong looks like a great city to explore! And I bet the stores with old women selling chickens will be the most interesting to check out!

    And BTW, I love that you're taking videos... they make the reality of you being on the other side of the world more believable. = )

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny because when I start taking videos in public and speaking English i almost always immediately get ambushed by a curious Korean or two who decide while I am recording that they want to practice their English with me. It's pretty funny... you'll see in a video soon to come....

    ReplyDelete